Alternative Groundwater Control System
Edgeboro International Inc. was contracted to construct a leachate collection system utilizing a biopolymer deep trenching method and a pneumatic pumping system for the Edgeboro Landfill in East Brunswick, New Jersey.
EII worked with Sadat Associates Inc. to engineer a 6,600 LF leachate collection trench that includes a collection piping system, pump and clean-out stations and metering chamber. The system was designed by integrating a biopolymer trenching method to support the following:
- Maintain the stability of the existing bentonite cutoff wall during the construction of the new leachate collection system.
- Minimize dewatering operations.
- Minimize the volume of excavated waste.
- Improve long term maintenance procedures
- Minimize decomposed waste odors emanating from an open trench.
- Less exposure to waste and improved trench safety for construction workers.
- Improve the containment system to provide a better inward hydraulic gradient against the cutoff wall (i.e. leachate levels inside the cutoff wall needed to be lower than groundwater elevations outside the cutoff wall)